Saturday, May 24, 2008

My Adopted Children



I have had a very long, but very rewarding day today. At school we had an end of year assembly today and a dance. They did such a good job with everything that they did. Let me give you a little bit of a background for those of you I haven't talked to lately. I work at an alternative high school in Provo, Utah. I love it! The students have some unique challenges, but have overcome so much. I teach math and I am the advisor of the student council called Lion's Council. This is the first year that they have really had this program and so prior to this they have not learned the skills of leadership. Them putting on the dance and the assembly all on their own is such a huge accomplishment for them. As we were setting up for the dance I just looked at them as they were making the balloon arch and they were so proud of themselves and I felt like a proud little mommy. My cute little students have been such a big support to me through everything this past year. Although my job can be stressful and unrewarding sometimes, it has been a constant for me and I just love all the students and all the people that I work with. I am really going to miss everyone when I leave.

Tonight at the dance, I invited a friend to come and help chaparone(?) and one of my students walked up to him, went to shake his hand, and pulled him in. He whispered in his ear "that is my teacher, you treat her right or else." On my way home from the dance I was talking to my mom and she was talking about a garden that she was going to start planting. Some how the conversation turned to how most of the time, the seeds you sow don't grow until you are long gone and you don't get the reward of seeing the beautiful flower. I am so glad that I have gotten to see my students grow so much this year. They are such strong people and I have learned a lot from them.
Sorry about the whatever signs, but the student in the middle is the one from the story above. He has so much potential. He just passed my class this term for the first time. I am so proud of him!!!

3 comments:

Alice said...

Can I just tell you that we are going to miss you at our school? Seriously, you have done so much for these kids this year. You really are awesome. It is going to be hard to say goodbye. Not only have you been a fun colleague, but you have been a great friend too! I think I miss you already! ;)

Courtney M said...

ALYSSA!! I am so happy you have a blog! I can't believe how big your little girl is! She is such a little cutie. Your sister told me you are moving home...yay! I would love to get together. Let me know when you move home, ok? By the way I think you are the perfect person for the job you do, I bet the students just love you.

BeCky said...

alyssa!!
wat can i say im going to miss you so much! first of all ive got to thank you for all that you have done for me. being such a nice teacher actually caring about my opinion and well just being there for me. i cant even explain how much fun i had in lion's council. even though sometimes i would get really mad cuz i felt like we would never get anything done. but i got over it and saw wat we really are! a big family! and ima miss all those who are leaving my family but they're always gonna be in my heart. especailly you alyssa! never gonna be replaced! i really do hope u keep in touch. i love you alyssa!
-Becky