Sunday, June 1, 2008

Suprise Tears!!!

When I moved to Provo it was a very temporary thing. I never thought I would miss this place. I hate the cold and didn't really love the snow. As I have been packing up my house and saying goodbye to my friends, I realize how much I love this place. I know I keep boohooing about how I am leaving, but I am sad about it. I have the perfect little house decorated just the way I want and a cute little backyard for Alexa to play in. We had friends over tonight for dinner and ate out in the back while the kids ran around and wore themselves out. Most importantly I have the best friends up here. They have gotten me through a lot this last year.


Today was my last week at church and it was sad saying goodbye. I have had a really tough time in this ward for the past three years. I was kind of the odd ball and never felt like a part of the ward. For the last few years I have been in activity days in my ward and today the bishopric figured out that I was leaving and so they just walked up and told me thanks and that I was released. I never realy felt like this calling was that big of a deal or that it meant so much to me, but when he said that I just started crying. I could tell by the look on his face that he didn't quite know what to do. I realized right then how much I love those girls and especially the ladies that I have gotten to work with. I have made some life long friends with the women that I have served with.


I feel like a really shy person and it is hard for me to just go make friends. When I would tell my mom how hard it was for me in this ward, she would always say, "make sure you do your calling and your visiting teaching and you will make friends." Visiting teaching, that one always changed because the people in the ward changed so much, but I can truely say now that serving in my calling is what has saved me this past year. If I had not been there I wouldn't have had such an awsome babysitter for Alexa. All of us leaders had girls the same age and they are just best friends. Alexa is really going to miss them too. Here is a picture of all of them on Cinco de Mayo playing in the big backyard after a picnic.

I am nervous to move down to Las Vegas where it should seem familiar, but really everything has changed. I have been gone for so long it seems like everything will be different, but (Mom you don't have to say it) I know if I just do my calling and my visiting teaching it will be great and I will make some new girl friends although the ones up here will be hard to replace!

7 comments:

The Olsen Family said...

Hey Alyssa, It's Kimberly Olsen (bartlett). I think I understand somewhat of what you are feeling. Change is always scary and letting go of something familiar even though not really wanted is always difficult. But I've known you for a LONG time and even though we've lost touch. I know you will be ok, with time you will be ok. You are strong and have a wonderful heart. At least you are able to move to a place where you have family. Family can be such a big help. Don't forget that even though you've lost touch with so many we will all welcome you back with more than open arms. Hope to get to see you more this summer. We love ya.

Leigh said...

Well, I for one am excited to have you back! Change is hard. But, if you've made it through the last year you are a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for. Alexa is just beautiful, by the way. What a contagious smile. Play dates will be great. Having someone around who understands the craziness of our lives will be great too. Can't wait to welcome you girls home!!!

Jamie Smith said...

Hey Alyssa! I'm sure your mom is counting down the days as well! What great grandparents your little Alexa has! Good luck with moving! (And adjusting back to the Vegas summer).
Jamie (Stucki) Smith

Brandon and Erin said...

Hey you...I know moving can be hard. I was sad to move Utah too-you never think you will like it, but then you grow to love it. I still miss it at times. I really am amazed by you and am excited for this new journey for you. Keep your head up, pray, and have faith. I am glad you will be a few hours closer- we will have to drive and meet half way sometimes! Let me know how things go and call me when you get settled in in Vegas. I have some great friends there- I will call them and you and her should meet up (she has a little girl)- in fact, you met them the night we went to cafe rio!
love ya!

Hollydoll said...

Hey Alyssa,
I just have to say that you never replace your friends, you just add to the list. The longer the list, the richer your life is with relationships and the experiences that go along with them. Enjoy the ride of your new adventure!! Just because you are moving to a "place" you have lived before, there is nothing about your life today that will allow it to ever be the same. Think of it as an adventure with the added bonus of a support system already in place. Cool, huh!! Enjoy
Love, Holly

April Garvin said...

Hi Alyssa! I am so happy I found your blog. How have you been? I read this post and I am the same way. I have a hard time going to a new ward and meeting new people. I found what helped me was I waited till a new family moved in and befriended them. (since I knew how it felt not to know anyone) and ever since then I have remained close friends with her. I wish you the best of luck. It is nice to see the pictures of you and your daughter. She looks just like you.
April (Pare) Garvin

Courtney M said...

I am actually really exited you are moving home. I have been thinking about you a lot since I found your blog and remembering the old days! (boots on spurs hehe) I can't wait to see you!